Welcome to WHMIS 2015 for GigHound Workers
WHMIS stands for the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System. It is a comprehensive system for providing health and safety information on hazardous products for use, handling, or storage in Canadian workplaces.
WHMIS has aligned with the worldwide hazard communication system known as GHS – the Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals.
Aligning with GHS provides many benefits, including:
- Improve the health and safety of workers by giving them better and more consistent information about hazards.
- Encourage safe transport, handling, and use of hazardous products.
- Promote better emergency response.
- Promote regulatory efficiency and compliance.
- Facilitate international trade.
How will this course help you to protect yourself?
In these articles course, you will learn how to:
- Understand labels.
- Recognize the pictograms (symbols) and understand the hazards that they represent.
- Identify the hazards represented by each hazard class.
- Find additional information about hazards and protective measures on SDSs.
This information is based on the federal Hazardous Products Act and the Hazardous Products Regulations administered by Health Canada.
NOTE: These articles will help you fulfill the legislated requirements for education related to hazardous products. In addition, GigHound Clients are responsible for training specific to their work-site and procedures.
Components of WHMIS
The main components of WHMIS are:
- Hazard identification
- Product classification
- Safety data sheets
- Worker education and training.