The purpose of this policy is to outline a procedure to follow when reporting hazards.
By identifying safety hazards, GigHound is increasing your knowledge of the hazards that may exist in the workplace and will help to determine the safest way to work. By acting proactively, GigHound’s goal is to prevent future accidents.
Defining hazardous conditions and acts
A hazard is anything that has the potential to cause damage, harm or adversely affect one’s health. Examples include but are not limited to:
- An object that could fall from a height.
- Spills or other slip or tripping hazards.
- Faulty equipment (e.g. where there is the potential for entanglement of hair or clothing in equipment).
- An unsafe act is a behaviour which could lead to an accident/incident (e.g. using equipment in an unsafe way or careless manner; not using personal protective equipment)
- Any changes in the workplace which workers feel are a potential hazard or risk.
Reporting and Follow-up Procedures
If a worker perceives or feels that there is a hazardous condition or act in the workplace, the following steps should be taken:
- Immediately advise your supervisor at the client site. Communicating directly with the supervisor at the workplace will ensure quick and immediate response. It will also avoid putting other workers at risk.
- You should then communicate with a GigHound representative to inform them of the situation.
- You should complete an Incident Reporting Form and give it to your GigHound representative.
- A GigHound representative is available to assist you in completing the form if required. A GigHound representative will review the Incident Reporting form immediately and work with the following resources to ensure your safety:
- Key client contacts such as Health & Safety representatives, supervisors/managers, human resources, etc.
- If it is impossible to correct the hazardous situation, the situation will be reviewed by either the work location Manager and/or Health & Safety Representative with a GigHound Representative.
Your Responsibility as an employee is to:
- Immediately report to your supervisor the existence of any hazard of which he or she is aware.
- Assist in the control of the hazard as possible.
The responsibilities of all other parties are listed in our Incident & Hazard Reporting Policy, which can be found on the Worker Help Center.
Incident Reporting Form
A copy of GigHound’s Incident Reporting Form is included at the back of this Guide, which you can use at any time. Additional copies can be found on the Worker Help Center or by requesting one from your GigHound Representative.